Any religious promise that circumvents the individual’s overcoming of sin (self-destructive behavior) is deadly. Following are some examples (for the purposes of this illustration, sin is hatred/resentment, self-will, or adultery):
- - Profess Jesus Christ and admit your sin and you are forgiven.
- - Declare you are a perfect child of God with one Father-Mother, and you have arrived.
- - Declare that sin is unreal and you are free from it.
- - Indulgences - pay tribute for your sins so as to reduce punishment. Being a good church person qualifies.
- - Meditate your way to a clear consciousness.
- - Kill someone who does not believe what you believe and you get a ticket direct to heaven, for you and your loved ones!!
In all these cases, if the self-destructive behavior continues, the subject has done nothing - NOTHING! except extend his own slavery. "Principle is imperative. You cannot mock it with human will.” (S&H)
The laws of the universe are unforgiving. Why? Because “The design of Love is to reform the sinner.” (S&H) - to free the sinner from his own enslavement. “Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” This is the promise, that freedom from sin is possible, is absolutely required. But it is a spiritual, not a material requirement - divine, not human.
Hatred/resentment, self-will, or adultery? No escape in high heaven or earth below, but full pardon with reformation.
"Be of good cheer; the warfare with one's self is grand; it gives one plenty of employment, and the divine Principle worketh with you, — and obedience crowns persistent effort with everlasting victory.” (Misc. Wr.)