08/06/15 - Midweek session on Trial - the Court of Spirit

Opened with Hymn 108:

Here, O Lord, I'd see Thee face to face; Here would I touch and handle things unseen; Here grasp with firmer hand th' eternal grace, And all my weariness upon Thee lean....

Read from Psalm 19:

The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
... Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Discussion touched on The Trial in S&H -  the second part in the Court of Spirit: 

The prisoner/patient has been condemned to death by Judge Medicine (who had been trying to help him), and all witnesses testified against the poor patient - an atmosphere of hopelessness hangs over the his cell, the sick-bed.

An appeal to a higher tribunal is made claiming the prisoner is not guilty. Christian Science is allowed to appear as counsel and the whole atmosphere changes to one of love, not condemnation. But his tender attitude towards the patient does not carry over towards the plaintiff, witnesses etc. Rather he becomes fierce in ripping to shreds the case against the prisoner, leaving the plaintiff and Health Laws, et al., with no credibility at all. 

It is noteworthy that Christian Science, counsel for the patient, is thorough in disposing of each character arrayed against the patient from the standpoint of moral indignation. Here this man/patient was taking care of a sick friend, setting aside his own needs while doing so - fullfilling the law of Spirit - and he is condemned to death for disobeying Laws of Health?!?

Example of the vibrant language (emphasis added): "Your Material Court of Errors, when it condemned Mortal Man on the ground of hygienic disobedience, was manipulated by the oleaginous machinations of the counsel, False Belief, whom Truth arraigns before the supreme bar of Spirit to answer for his crime."

False Belief, counsel for Health Laws. Sheriff Fear presides in the Court of Error. Sheriff Progress presides in the Court of Spirit... what vivid characters.

Nothing is wasted in this superb piece. Each descriptionl, each character is relevant in making the case. 

Closed with Hymn 80:

God is our refuge and defense,
In trouble our unfailing aid;
Secure in His omnipotence,
What foe can make our heart afraid...